SKULLS OF THE SHOGUN: BONE-A-FIDE EDITION?

Wanna gab about the Skulls? Speak generally about the Generals of the afterlife!
Forum rules
By using the Skulls of the Shogun Forums, you acknowledge and agree to the forum rules located here.

Re: SKULLS OF THE SHOGUN: BONE-A-FIDE EDITION?

Postby Alrak » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:09 pm

I was hoping to be able to purchase the new content or a Steam upgrade as a thanks for supporting the Windows 8 version of the game but it seems I have to purchase the game twice (which isn't happening).There is no reason for it. Trying to force previously loyal fans into paying for another copy of your game so they can enjoy the full experience is beyond contemptible.

I understand that you've added content to the game and that is admirable but there is no reason why you couldn't just charge your loyal customers a discounted rate to receive this version of the game(Steam). If you really cared about your fans you could just give them or give them the option of purchasing a very cheap Steam keys to activate since they did already buy the game. Instead you've chosen the greediest path possible.

It appears that you mistakenly got into bed with Microsoft and got screwed. Now you're desperate and instead of doing what you can to build brand and customer loyalty you are chasing every dollar possible. Somehow ignorant of the fact that by not supporting your previous customers you are deterring new customers. So now you aren't getting money from me or the 3 extra copies I would have bought for my friends, others like me will skip the game as well and you aren't getting the small fee you could have charged to upgrade previous customers.

It seems to me that you might be missing out on more than a few dollars here. Good luck with that.I have added your company to my list of developers that I will not financially support and have informed several of my friends to do the same.
Alrak

Postby grabuzor » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:43 am

What a ****.

It's a small company, give them some slack. The game is just about 15 dollars: even bought twice, it's not the end of the world, specially if you consider the steam version upgrades.
grabuzor

Postby 17-BIT Ben » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi Alrak, first just want to say thanks for enjoying Skulls and being passionate about it.
Alrak wrote:...there is no reason why you couldn't just charge your loyal customers a discounted rate to receive this version of the game(Steam)

There is actually a reason. We have literally no way to know who our loyal customers are. We do not have access to Microsoft's customer data, and there is no way for us to get it, unfortunately. Further, there would be no easy way to correlate that with Steam accounts (for hopefully obvious reasons).

We aren't trying to be greedy, there just doesn't seem to be a solution.

Hopefully this makes sense, and we do appreciate the support. We're doing what we can.
17-BIT Ben

Steam ID: drbinocular
Xbox Live Gamertag: Dr Binocular

Postby Alrak » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:32 am

17-Bit Ben i am unable to reply to your private message you sent me with that information.If you or a moderator could allow me to send you a private message or give me an email address to which i can supply requested materials it would be appreciated.
Alrak

Postby 17-BIT Ben » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:39 pm

done!
17-BIT Ben

Postby kenikh » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:17 am

The biggest bummer is no version for my phone. That coupled with the fact that I have a hate for Steam bordering on religious zealotry means I'll likely never play bonafide. Too bad because I bought the Xbox, win8 and Windows Phone version of the original. Hopefully the new self submission policies for Indy gamers on Xbox One will solve this.
kenikh

Xbox Live Gamertag: thenukkaman

Postby kenikh » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:53 pm

Against my convictions, I nutted up and bought Bonafide on Steam.

You're right, the touch controls afforded via Steam due to XNA are abominable. Pretty much impossible to play without a mouse. I'm pretty sad about that as I NEVER have time to game when there's a mouse handy.

I won't say it is money wasted, but it will be money extremely under utilized.

Great games, just sorry it is so not worth your time to develop for Win8 and WP8. Sad.
kenikh

Xbox Live Gamertag: thenukkaman

Postby 17-BIT Ben » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:55 pm

I realize you may be using a touch-only device, but on the off chance it helps, the game is fully playable with keyboard-only as well.
17-BIT Ben

Postby deSynq » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:50 pm

Hey guys and gals at 17-Bit, is bringing new content to Microsoft platforms an ongoing discussion or is it a decision that you have made that isn't going to change? (don't want you to commit to anything, just want to know if it's an ongoing process)

I picked up a new Surface Pro recently and I've been eyeing SotS in the Windows 8 store, as I already own it on my phone. However, I'm hesitant to buy it if there isn't going to be any further support for the platform. I understand that you guys were screwed over pretty bad in the whole deal, but if updating the game on the Windows 8 store is still a consideration as the community grows I would buy the game pretty much immediately.

Either way, you've done fantastic work on the game and I hope you get the credit and success you all deserve. Galak-Z looks amazing and I hope it comes to XB1 eventually. Keep up the good work. :D
deSynq

Xbox Live Gamertag: Synikl

Postby 17-BIT Borut » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:44 am

Well, I mean if the situation changes drastically we'd re-evaluate (like selling a bazillion on another platform would at least let us consider it, right now the cost is just not feasible, or if MS offers to help us and tries to repair the business relationship), but no, it's not very likely that the MS platforms will get updated.

Although if you want to play with touch the Win8 store version is going have a better experience.
17-BIT Borut

Previous

Return to Skulls of the Shogun: General Discussion