Title Update - Skulls Anywhere "Failed to Start Game"

While Skulls of the Shogun is an elegant piece of coding magic, there is the .000000002% chance that there are bugs. Get the official list of known bugs, and see what fixes are in store for the title update. If you find one we don't have listed, let us know in here.
Forum rules
By using the Skulls of the Shogun Forums, you acknowledge and agree to the forum rules located here.

Title Update - Skulls Anywhere "Failed to Start Game"

Postby Robert » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:37 am

Thank you guys for releasing the title update. I installed the update and then went to play a match from earlier this past week. However I received the error of “Failed to Start Game” when I tried to launch it (screenshot: http://sdrv.ms/XYYFM4). Additionally every time I go to search for a new game and create a new game, I receive the "Failed to Start Game" error, which means Skulls Anywhere mode is completely broken for me at the moment. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but the issue persists. I'm playing Skulls on a custom Windows 8 desktop PC.
Robert

Steam ID: RadiatingBlade
Xbox Live Gamertag: RadiatingBlade

Re: Title Update - Skulls Anywhere "Failed to Start Game"

Postby 17-BIT Borut » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:05 pm

Hey Robert - so if your previous matches had suffered from an out-of-sync error due to cloud storage (which may have not actually been noticeable to you or the other player individually), this error should come up. Thankfully the update prevents this issue from occurring in the future (it has safeguards to check for cloud storage failure & can fall back to the local game). If you were playing the game on *not* the same platform as you played the last turn, you may want to try it there (because it can try loading the local game file).

Also, there was a brief period where the title update was not available for all platforms at once (because Microsoft is not capable of actually syncing the update unfortunately) where you could run into problems like this.

If none of that works, I recommend starting new games now that the title update is out on all platforms - sorry for the inconvienence.
17-BIT Borut

Postby Robert » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:19 pm

After uninstalling and reinstalling Skulls this morning, I am still experiencing the “Failed to Start Game” and “Failed to Leave Game” in Skulls Anywhere mode. This seems like a improbable cause to me, but I changed my Xbox LIVE gamertag a couple days ago. Would that have any effect on being able to start a new game even after leaving all previous games? Thanks for your help.
Robert

Postby cleavitt » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:14 pm

I'm having the same issue that robert describes. I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro (Windows 8 Pro) and after installing the most recent app update I get "failed to start game" when trying to access games through Skulls Anywhere. This happens for existing games, new games that I try to create, and new games that I try to join.
cleavitt

Postby 17-BIT Borut » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:11 pm

It looks like there may be a server configuration/permission issue that Microsoft broke when the put out the title update. Following up with them now.
17-BIT Borut

Postby Robert » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:56 am

Any new developments Borut? I haven't been able to play a single Skulls Anywhere game since the title update was released on Monday.

Nevermind, I see you responded on Facebook last evening to someone else with the same issue... "The windows 8 is currently having that problem - it looks like it's a server side permission/configuration issue that got broken during/after the update. Microsoft is currently investigating the problem w/their servers. Hopefully will have it resolved very soon."

Would be nice to be able to play again this weekend. *crossing fingers* ;)
Robert

Postby 17-BIT Borut » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:38 am

Yes! Microsoft, much like elves, fixed it in the middle of the night. It's working here for me fine now on Win8. Lemme know if you still have any problems!
17-BIT Borut

Return to Technical Issues and Assistance