Tips and Tricks

Wanna gab about the Skulls? Speak generally about the Generals of the afterlife!
Forum rules
By using the Skulls of the Shogun Forums, you acknowledge and agree to the forum rules located here.

Tips and Tricks

Postby Robert » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:00 am

What tips or tricks have you learned to become better playing Skulls of the Shogun? Please share them in this thread.

There are several things that I have learned thus far in the campaign and in Skulls Anywhere games.

+Keep infantry up front, guarding your other units, particularly archers.
+Form spirit walls to avoid becoming knocked back by your opponent.
+Hide your units in tall grass or bamboo and away from thorns whenever possible to reduce the probability of receiving a hit.
+After your first turn haunting a rice patty, you're free to move that unit without losing rice income on your next turn.
+Heal and buff your units by eating skulls whenever possible.
+When attacking, know your options. Choose engagements where your health loss in minimal but the damage is maximal.
+When battling an opponents fox monk, take it out quickly or kill units rather than damage several units, to reduce it's healing ability.
+When done using a fox monk, keep them behind other units and hidden in tall grass or bamboo whenever possible to avoid damage from your opponent.
Robert

Steam ID: RadiatingBlade
Xbox Live Gamertag: RadiatingBlade

Re: Tips and Tricks

Postby 17-BIT Brett » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:23 pm

* You can give archers temporary spirit walls by moving a unit in front of them before they attack. Attack with your archer once he's spirit-walled, then you're free to move the first unit again with his full movement! (If he hasn't done an action yet, it hasn't locked in any real movement).
17-BIT Brett

Steam ID: 17BITBrett

Postby 17-BIT Ben » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:41 pm

+ All else being equal, it's usually better to kill one unit than weaken two.
+ Pay attention to the order in which you use your units during your turn! Avoiding counterattacks is always key, but also, if you soften up the enemy with your archers and salamander monks first, you can use your melee units to finish them off. If an enemy unit isn't defeated using this method, it will often be at 3 or less health and therefore have a weakened attack.
17-BIT Ben

Steam ID: drbinocular
Xbox Live Gamertag: Dr Binocular

Postby I_Spiritus_I » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:00 pm

This:

Pay attention to the order in which you use your units during your turn! Avoiding counterattacks is always key, but also, if you soften up the enemy with your archers and salamander monks first, you can use your melee units to finish them off. If an enemy unit isn't defeated using this method, it will often be at 3 or less health and therefore have a weakened attack.

and this!

You can give archers temporary spirit walls by moving a unit in front of them before they attack. Attack with your archer once he's spirit-walled, then you're free to move the first unit again with his full movement! (If he hasn't done an action yet, it hasn't locked in any real movement).

:).

+ I've always found archers to be great once in their demon form. They can normally take out most basic units in one turn (two attacks from them).
+ Try to lure enemies to Cliffs and Thorns to cause extra damage. I've managed to kill a few generals this way! :)
I_Spiritus_I

Xbox Live Gamertag: I Spiritus I

Postby DAVTHO » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:21 pm

if your opponent has spirit-walled themselves on a ledge, use the bird to blow them off (i should say, blow them away!). the gust will still work on a spirit wall, albeit less effective.
DAVTHO

Postby FadedEchos » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:20 pm

-Remember that demon-form infantry, cavalry, and shogun can all break up spirit walls.
-If you think your Shogun has enough health to weather all of your enemy's attacks or is out of range, he doesn't, he isn't, there's thorns or an edge, or they'll spawn an extra archer.
FadedEchos

Xbox Live Gamertag: FadedEchos

Postby zedarot » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:21 am

Just got all gold skulls. :D
zedarot

Xbox Live Gamertag: Ha Tien Dat

Postby zedarot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:45 am

Stand on the flame of haunted shrines and your injured unit gain 2 HP next round.
zedarot

Xbox Live Gamertag: Ha Tien Dat

Postby coip » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 pm

[quote="zedarot"] Stand on the flame of haunted shrines and your injured unit gain 2 HP next round. [/quote]

So you don't even have to have that character haunt it? If it's already been haunted another character, say Cavalry, can go attack an enemy and then retreat and stand on a haunted rice paddy/shrine (i.e., not an 'action' like 'attack/eat skull/haunt', but literally just selecting 'wait here' on that spot) and that will add 2HP next round?
Last edited by coip on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
coip

Xbox Live Gamertag: range is good

Postby 17-BIT Ben » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:05 pm

coip wrote:So you don't even have to have that character haunt it? If it's already been haunted another character, say Cavalry, can go attack an enemy and then retreat and stand on a haunted rice paddy/shrine (i.e., not an 'action' like 'attack/eat skull/haunt', but literally just selecting 'wait here' on that spot) and that will add 2HP next round?

Yep, no action is required, you just have to get the character on the flame (if it's on the edge it won't work, you can look at the scroll to tell for sure). They of course have to survive until the next round, but if they do, it'll get added at the start of the turn!
17-BIT Ben

Steam ID: drbinocular
Xbox Live Gamertag: Dr Binocular

Return to Skulls of the Shogun: General Discussion