Skulls on the Couch - unable to load game

While Skulls of the Shogun is an elegant piece of coding magic, there is the .000000002% chance that there are bugs. Get the official list of known bugs, and see what fixes are in store for the title update. If you find one we don't have listed, let us know in here.
Forum rules
By using the Skulls of the Shogun Forums, you acknowledge and agree to the forum rules located here.

Skulls on the Couch - unable to load game

Postby sparkyrob » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:23 pm

I played a couch game (2 people) on 360 for a couple of hours and saved it. The autosave also saved, a few seconds before.

When I came to reloading the game (which only appears to be possible by creating a NEW couch game and then going to Save/Load once in there...seems a bit odd?), the game loaded...and then flashed up the main menu. Neither player was able to clear this menu screen. We had to go back to the dashboard.

Tried again, this time trying to load the autosave. Same problem. Menu came up (the one with Resume Game, etc on) and we couldn't dismiss it.

Tried creating a BRAND NEW couch game. Saved the game shortly after creating it, then tried loading it. Same thing happened.

It seems like it's not possible to save and reload a couch game which is very frustrating - is this a known issue? I'm not getting any error messages, just the main menu appearing which can't be dismissed and which forces you to quit to the 360 dashboard.
sparkyrob

Re: Skulls on the Couch - unable to load game

Postby sparkyrob » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Am I the only one who has this problem? Can anyone at 17 bit comment?
sparkyrob

Postby 17-BIT Ben » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 am

Hi sparkyrob - thanks for the info. I haven't heard of this specific issue, a couple quick questions:

1) were there two Xbox profiles signed in, or did you use a guest (hotseat) account? Was this the same when saving and loading?
2) when you created the new couch game to load from, did you use the same configuration of players?
3) what kind of device are you saving to?
4) when you say "flashed up the main menu" do you mean the pause menu, or the main menu screen at the start of the game?

FYI you can also load your save games by choosing them in the match options screen in the list of maps. Just scroll to the end of the maps (or just scroll a few slots left). I'd be curious to know if your maps will load that way as well.

Thanks for any more info you can give!

Best,
Ben
17-BIT Ben

Steam ID: drbinocular
Xbox Live Gamertag: Dr Binocular

Postby sparkyrob » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:05 pm

1) were there two Xbox profiles signed in, or did you use a guest (hotseat) account? Was this the same when saving and loading?

I was signed in with my Live profile, and my girlfriend was playing using a local (offline) account.

2) when you created the new couch game to load from, did you use the same configuration of players?

Yes

3) what kind of device are you saving to?

Xbox HDD

4) when you say "flashed up the main menu" do you mean the pause menu, or the main menu screen at the start of the game?

The Pause menu.

Thanks to your tip, I was able to find the save game through the maps selection screen! Cheers for that. It doesn't seem particularly intuitive - I would never have thought to look there for saved games, especially when there is a Save/Load option in the pause menu. Why not have a load option straight after choosing Skulls on the Couch?

To replicate the issue I had, you could try this:

1. Create a 2 player game
2. Save the match after the first round
3. Quit the game.
4. Load the game.
5. Choose Skulls on the Couch
6. Create a new random game
7. When the new game starts, pause the game and choose Save/Load
8. Find the game you just saved and try to load it. It should load.
9. As soon as Round XXX appears, the Pause menu flashes up and you cannot do anything else. You have to quit to dashboard.

The above steps are what I was trying before your suggestion to load the game a different way. Hopefully it will help you locate the issue!
sparkyrob

Return to Technical Issues and Assistance