How to beat "park the bus" players

Wanna gab about the Skulls? Speak generally about the Generals of the afterlife!
Forum rules
By using the Skulls of the Shogun Forums, you acknowledge and agree to the forum rules located here.

How to beat "park the bus" players

Postby beaglehound24 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:32 pm

Hey guys - I like playing this game alot - but lately online ive seen alot of guys play like an Italian football club - basically get whatever bonus is easy available (potions/rice) and then back everything up behind their archers at the back of the level and not move - ever. so basically you need to move your guys forward into range and take all the hits. Its an ugly boring strategy that -truly- turns me off this game. any ideas how to beat it?
beaglehound24

Xbox Live Gamertag: Beaglehound24

Re: How to beat "park the bus" players

Postby 17-BIT Ben » Mon May 27, 2013 12:44 pm

Hmm, I haven't encountered this type of player yet, but I have a couple of thoughts. Depending on the map you're playing, you may be able to disrupt them by powering up your monks. Granted, getting a skull will be tricky, but some maps have skulls placed in them at the start.
1) Use a salamander to get just close enough to summon an Oni or two, then back off. That should at least soften them up, and hopefully give you an opening to go in. Or perhaps you can keep doing this over and over to wear them down, or use it to take the brunt of the attack and use your archers to help cleanup.
2) If you can get 3 skulls (which might be *very* hard), use a demon crow or salamander's most advanced spells to do damage multiple units. This takes 100 rice so can't be used a lot, but may disrupt their strategy if they are just healing up individual units to prevent any of them from dying.

It's tricky. You've probably tried carefully positioning, but you may be able to get the upper hand by approaching with a couple infantry and archers, take a couple miss-range shots with your archers and then retreat. You should be able to take out an enemy infantry, of course the same may happen to you on the next turn, but you may be able to use some nearby rocks or bamboo to your advantage. Perhaps if you know you'll lose a unit, you can position it such that the skull it leaves will draw them out a little?

Finally, you might be able to use the crow to gust an Oni in close, or one of your powered up units (if you've managed to grab any skulls).

Good luck! I'd love to hear any other ideas, as well as how it goes... death to the turtles! :)
17-BIT Ben

Steam ID: drbinocular
Xbox Live Gamertag: Dr Binocular

Postby PowerDom5000 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:30 pm

I've played against a guy who would do the same thing. Such boring matches, it really just got more annoying than anything. He did it on Raiden's Rampage. To me it felt like trench fighting, whoever went into the no-man's-land between the logs would get crushed. We had a match on the Killing Bridges blitz map last 19 turns. I wish I had a reply of that game.
PowerDom5000

Xbox Live Gamertag: My User Name

Postby PowerDom5000 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:33 pm

[quote="17-BIT Ben"]use the crow to gust an Oni in close[/quote]

Is this common in the Beta? Just performing that action in an online game should be an achievement for how hard that would be.
PowerDom5000

Xbox Live Gamertag: My User Name

Return to Skulls of the Shogun: General Discussion